NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations – Painter

DMR Training is an approved assessment centre for NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations – Painter. We aim to help you gain your Painting and Decorating NVQ as quickly and conveniently as possible.


Fast & Flexible Assessment


Experienced NVQ Assessors


Get Your CSCS Card


Funding Available

Who should take NVQ Level 2 Painting and Decorating?

The NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations – Painter course is for experienced decorators who meet the recognised occupational standards. The qualification validates the skills and experience you have already acquired in your career.

There are three pathways within the Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations NVQ. They are:

  • Pathway 1 – Painter
  • Pathway 2 – Industrial Painter
  • Pathway 3 – Heritage Painter

The information on this page is for pathway one (painter). You are suitable for this pathway if you work as a painter and decorator on internal and external walls of private homes, commercial buildings such as offices, and construction sites including new build homes. If you work predominantly on industrial structures such as bridges or heritage structures such as listed buildings, please consider taking pathway two or three for this NVQ.

We deliver NVQ Level 2 in Painting and Decorating through the Onsite Assessment and Training (OSAT) route which allows you to work towards the NVQ at your own pace. It is a workplace and evidence-based qualification; classroom learning is rarely needed to achieve.

Please refer to the ‘Entry Requirements’ and ‘Assessment Process’ sections for examples of job tasks assessed during the NVQ.

Once you achieve this NVQ, you will become eligible to apply for the blue CSCS card (Skilled Worker card).

Entry Requirements

To undertake an NVQ Level 2 in Painting and Decorating, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Minimum of three years experience working in painting and decorating on domestic / commercial buildings or New Build construction sites (it helps if you have experience of both environments but is not essential).
  • Must currently be working as a painter and decorator.
  • Aged 19+.

To ensure you meet the minimum entry requirements, your NVQ assessor will carry out a pre-enrolment skills diagnostic in a number of the job tasks listed below.

  • Working to specification such as using the correct type of paint (gloss, satin etc), the correct colour or correct brand (Dulex, Crown etc.).
  • Carrying out preparation for painting such as stripping wallpaper or paint, washing down surfaces, applying specified primers (wood, metal, wall etc.), applying undercoats, applying fillers (cork, powder, two-part etc.).
  • Mixing paint and thinning to correct ratio / consistency.
  • Protecting work environment or customer’s home using dust sheets and masking tape.
  • Safely disposing waste and properly storing paint and equipment.
  • Applying paint by brush or roller to either internal or external surfaces, walls, ceilings, windows, radiators, skirting boards and other surface types.
  • Cutting in paint to an acceptable standard.
  • Laying on and off.
  • Using and maintaining tools such as steam strippers, knives, scrapers, extension poles and dust sheets.
  • Awareness and application of safe working practices (see ‘Assessment process’ section).

Assessment process

At the start of your NVQ Level 2 in Painting and Decorating, we will assign you an NVQ assessor who will work with you for the duration of the course as you build a portfolio of work-based evidence.

Types of evidence may include:

  • An onsite observation while you work, carried out by your assessor in your workplace.
  • Photographs or videos of you working. You can take photos and videos yourself or ask a workmate to do it for you. Your assessor will advise you on best practice for capturing evidence this way.
  • References, employer endorsements or witness testimonies verifying your work as a decorator. For example, you can submit a witness testimony from a homeowner whose house you decorated, or an employer from a previous job.
  • Detailed job logs of work you have completed during the NVQ.
  • A recorded professional discussion with your assessor either face-to-face or over the telephone. A professional discussion is ideal for covering aspects of the job that your assessor is unable to see during the workplace observation. For example, if your assessor is unable to watch you stripping wallpaper, you could cover this topic during a recorded discussion.
  • Coursework covering the ‘theory’ of painting and decorating, and construction health and safety. This comes in the form of a Q&A pack. You can choose to handwrite the answers, type them up on a computer, or provide them verbally using a digital voice recorder.

During your painting and decorating NVQ, your assessor will support you in gathering work-based evidence for a range of skills. As well as the job-specific skills listed in the ‘Entry Requirements’ section, you will need to provide evidence in some of the areas listed below.

  • Knowledge and use of full PPE such as bib and brace, dust mask when sanding down or safety glasses when scraping, boots or hi vis clothing (where relevant).
  • Attendance of site inductions and toolbox talks.
  • Working safely at height and using access equipment such as steps, ladders or mobile scaffold.
  • Following risk assessments.
  • General knowledge of paints and materials, and their application.

Your assessor will cross-reference your evidence against the NVQ units until your portfolio is complete. Our internal verification team will then check your portfolio and claim your NVQ certificate with Proqual.


Although decorators can take up to six months or more to achieve their NVQ, we find that most complete the qualification in 2 to 3 months.

Ultimately, the qualification will fit around your professional and personal commitments. Work towards it at a speed you feel comfortable.

Two images of a painter and decorator applying paint to an office wall and ceiling using a roller and a brush. He is being observed by his assessor for NVQ Level 2 Painting and Decorating

Costs & Funding

We currently have access to NVQ funding for painter and decorators in Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Sheffield City Region (includes Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster and Sheffield). Please contact us so we can check your eligibility for funding.

If you are ineligible for government support, we offer affordable self-funded assessment payable in two parts – 50% upfront and 50% on completion.

Please contact us to discuss funding and costs.


On completion of your Painting and Decorating NVQ course, you can apply for your Skilled Worker card (blue card).

If you require a CSCS card while you are working towards your NVQ, you can apply for your temporary Experienced Worker card (red card).

All CSCS card applicants must first pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test (HS&E test).


After achieving Level 2 and depending on your experience, you may have the option to advance to NVQ Level 3 in Painting and Decorating, NVQ Level 3 in Occupational Work Supervision (Construction) or NVQ Level 4 in Construction Site Supervision.

Getting Started

When you decide to proceed with your NVQ, we will carry out a quick skills diagnostic to confirm your suitability for the qualification and the onsite assessment route.

We will then enrol you on the qualification with Proqual and issue your welcome email. Your assessor will contact you for your introductory telephone conversation and put together your assessment action plan.

For an initial commitment-free consultation, please call us on 01942 673047 or send us your details and we will get back to you.

Qualification Requirements for NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations – Painter

Mandatory Units – Candidates must complete the six mandatory units

  • Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace
  • Conforming to productive working practices in the workplace
  • Moving, handling and storing resources in the workplace
  • Erecting and dismantling access/working platforms in the workplace
  • Preparing surfaces for painting and/or decorating in the workplace
  • Applying surface coatings by brush and roller in the workplace

Additional UnitsCandidates can choose to take any of the following additional units but they do not form part of the core qualification

  • Hang wallcoverings (standard and foundation papers) in the workplace
  • Hanging non standard width wallcoverings in the workplace
  • Applying coatings by the air spray method in the workplace
  • Producing and applying complex stencils in the workplace
  • Installing coving and decorative mouldings in the workplace
  • Applying coatings to produce textured finishes in the workplace
  • Producing broken colour effects in the workplace
  • Producing stencil designs using pre-cut stencil plates in the workplace


DMR Training was formed in 2013 and has since grown into one of the country’s leading centres for painting and decorating NVQ assessment. In that time, we have helped over 1000 construction workers gain their NVQ and CSCS card.

We are on the government’s Register of Training Organisations (ROTO), which means we can deliver funded assessment to eligible workers and employers.

If you would like to verify our status as a fully approved training and assessment centre for painting and decorating, please contact:

ProQual AB Limited
ProQual House
Unit 1, Innovation Drive
Newport, Brough
HU15 2GX

Tel: 01430 423822
Email: enquiries@proqualab.com

There are several reasons you might take an NVQ, ranging from increased earning potential and career prospects, to gaining your CSCS card. See our short guide – Why Should You Do an NVQ?

Before starting your qualification, an assessor will be assigned to work with you and provide ongoing support.

DMR assessors are former construction workers with at least five years’ experience in NVQ assessment.

They hold an A1 or TAQA assessor’s qualification, a minimum of NVQ Level 2 in their occupational area and a blue or gold CSCS card.

We provide full training to all our assessors in supporting people with dyslexia or learning disabilities. If you need extra support and guidance with the written elements of your Painting and Decorating NVQ, your assessor will draw up an assessment plan tailored to your needs.

An NVQ is a workplace competency qualification. As a competent painter and decorator, you will be expected to document your skills and experience through various types of ‘evidence’.

Your assessor will carry out at least one observation in your place of work. You will also complete coursework in your own time.

To achieve your qualification, you will not need to travel, there are no exams to sit, and you will not need to take time off work. Your assessor will provide support and guidance face-to-face, by phone and by email.

CITB-registered employers can claim a grant of £600 for every employee or contractor who completes an NVQ Level 2 to 7. You can find more information on the CITB website.

Government NVQ funding is available for construction workers who meet specific criteria. Please get in touch with us to find out if you are eligible for funding.

When you have completed your NVQ portfolio, our internal verification team will check it for compliance. They will then claim your certificate with Proqual.

Once we have received your certificate from the awarding body, we will forward it to you by recorded delivery. This process usually takes between two and four weeks.

To get your CSCS Skilled Worker card, you will also need to pass the CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test at your local test centre.

You can apply for your card by visiting www.cscs.uk.com/applying-for-cards. You will need to upload a copy of your NVQ certificate and have a debit or credit card ready to pay the £36 fee.

Yes, if you need a CSCS card while you are doing your painting and decorating qualification, you can apply for the Experienced Worker card. You can request this card as soon as we have enrolled you on the NVQ (you will also need to pass the CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test).

To apply for the temporary card, we will email you your proof of enrolment which you must submit to CSCS.

You will then upgrade to the Skilled Worker card once you have finished the qualification.