NVQ Level 2 Certificate in Insulation and Building Treatments – Internal Insulation

DMR Training is an approved assessment centre for NVQ Level 2 Certificate in Insulation and Building Treatments – Internal Insulation. We aim to help you gain your insulation NVQ as quickly and conveniently as possible.


Fast & Flexible Assessment


Experienced NVQ Assessors


Get Your CSCS Card


Funding Available

Who should take NVQ Level 2 Internal Insulation?

The NVQ Level 2 in Internal Insulation course is for experienced insulation workers who meet the recognised occupational standards. The qualification is validation of your skills and experience.

The NVQ is suitable for workers who retrofit insulation to the internal walls of domestic buildings and commercial properties. Typically workers who take this NVQ will have experience installing at least one type or brand of insulation, such as Knauf mineral wool or Kingspan insulated plasterboards.

We deliver the Internal Insulation NVQ through the Onsite Assessment and Training (OSAT) route: this allows you to work towards the qualification at your own speed. See the ‘Entry Requirements’ and ‘Assessment Process’ sections for examples of job tasks the assessment process covers.

On completing the Internal Wall Insulation NVQ Level 2, you will become eligible for a CSCS blue card.

Entry Requirements

To undertake an Internal Insulation NVQ Level 2, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Minimum of three years experience installing internal wall insulation in the workplace.
  • Must currently be working in the trade.
  • Aged 19+.

An NVQ is a pass or fail qualification. To maximise your chances of success, your NVQ assessor will check your level of experience by carrying out a pre-enrolment skills diagnostic in some of the following areas:

  • Pre-checks including testing wall stability; locating electrical cables and sockets; locating pipework using a pipe detector; and marking on walls where pipes and cables are present.
  • Removing skirting boards, architraves, corner seats, mouldings and decorative features.
  • Measuring and cutting internal wall insulation.
  • Installing insulation through mechanical fix, dot and dab or securing to stud frame.
  • Applying spray foam to seal gaps.
  • Covering joints with adhesive-backed aluminium tape or scrim.
  • Refitting skirting boards, architraves, corner seats, mouldings and decorative features.
  • Cleaning up and removing dust sheets or Roll & Stroll protector.

Assessment process

We will assign you an insulation NVQ assessor who will work with you for the duration of the course as you build a portfolio of evidence.

Types of work-based evidence include:

  • An onsite observation while you work, carried out by your assessor in your workplace.
  • Photographs or videos of you working. Your assessor will provide guidance on what to include in photos and videos.
  • References, employer endorsements or witness testimonies verifying your work and career in internal wall insulation.
  • Detailed job logs of work you have completed during the NVQ.
  • A recorded professional discussion with your assessor either face-to-face or over the telephone. For example, during a recorded discussion your assessor might ask you to talk about the stages of refitting a plug socket, or what you would do if you identified an issue with gas pipes.
  • A job knowledge question pack covering the ‘theory’ of internal insulation, and construction health and safety. You can work through these questions in your own time; answers can be hand-written, typed on a computer, or provided verbally in a recorded Q&A session with your assessor.

During your NVQ, your assessor will support you in gathering work-based evidence for a range of skills that will be cross-referenced against the units of the NVQ until your portfolio is complete. Once your assessor is satisfied that you have submitted sufficient evidence, our internal verification team will check your portfolio. They will then claim your NVQ certificate with City and Guilds.

Your assessor is not there to judge your level of expertise; their primary role is to support you in gathering admissible evidence covering areas such as:

  • Health and safety awareness.
  • Working to specifications and manufacturers guidelines.
  • Occupational competency in internal insulation (for example, producing clean cuts to insulation boards or butting boards tightly with minimal use of expanding filler).


Although insulation workers can take up to six months or more to achieve their NVQ, we find that most complete the qualification in 2 to 3 months.

Ultimately, the qualification will fit around your professional and personal commitments. Work towards it at a speed you feel comfortable.

Example of Internal Insulation NVQ Level 2 assessment process: a worker installing an insulation board to an internal wall.

Costs & Funding

We currently have access to Low Carbon NVQ funding for insulation workers in Greater Manchester, Lancashire and the Sheffield City Region. Please contact us so we can check your eligibility for funding.

If you live or work outside these regions, we offer affordable self-funded assessment payable in two parts – 50% upfront and 50% on completion.

Please contact us to discuss funding and costs.


On completion of your Internal Insulation NVQ course, you can apply for your Skilled Worker card (blue card).

If you require a CSCS card while you are working towards your NVQ, you can apply for your temporary Experienced Worker card (red card).

All CSCS card applicants must first pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test (HS&E test).


After achieving Level 2 and depending on your experience, you may have the option to advance to NVQ Level 3 in a similar occupational area, NVQ Level 3 in Occupational Work Supervision (Construction) or NVQ Level 4 in Construction Site Supervision.

Getting Started

When you decide to proceed with your NVQ, we will carry out a quick skills diagnostic to confirm your suitability for the qualification and the onsite assessment route.

We will then enrol you on the qualification with City and Guilds and issue your welcome email. Your assessor will contact you for your introductory telephone conversation and put together your assessment action plan.

For an initial commitment-free consultation, please call us on 01942 673047 or send us your details and we will get back to you.

Qualification Requirements for NVQ Level 2 Certificate in Insulation and
Building Treatments – Internal Insulation

Mandatory Units – Candidates must complete the four mandatory units

  • Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace
  • Conforming to productive working practices in the workplace
  • Moving, handling and storing resources in the workplace
  • Installing internal insulation to walls in the workplace

Additional Units – Candidates can elect to take additional units but they do not form part of the core qualification

  • Erecting and dismantling access/working platforms in the workplace
  • Applying finishing plaster to prepared surfaces in the workplace


DMR Training was formed in 2013 and has since grown into one of the country’s leading centres for Insulation and Building Treatments NVQ assessment. In that time, we have helped over 1000 construction workers gain their NVQ and CSCS card.

We are on the government’s Register of Training Organisations (ROTO), which means we can deliver funded assessment to eligible workers and employers.

If you would like to verify our status as a fully approved training and assessment centre for insulation, please contact:

City & Guilds
5-6 Giltspur Street
London, UK

Tel: 0844 543 0033
Email: learnersupport@cityandguilds.com

There are several reasons you might take an NVQ, ranging from increased earning potential and career prospects, to gaining your CSCS card. See our short guide – Why Should You Do an NVQ?

Before starting your qualification, an assessor will be assigned to work with you and provide ongoing support.

DMR assessors are former construction workers with at least five years’ experience in NVQ assessment.

They hold an A1 or TAQA assessor’s qualification, a minimum of NVQ Level 2 in their occupational area and a blue or gold CSCS card.

We provide full training to all our assessors in supporting people with dyslexia or learning disabilities. If you need extra support and guidance with the written elements of your insulation NVQ, your assessor will draw up an assessment plan tailored to your needs.

An NVQ is a workplace competency qualification. As a competent internal wall insulation installer, you will be expected to document your skills and experience through various types of ‘evidence’.

Your assessor will carry out at least one observation in your place of work. You will also complete coursework in your own time.

To achieve your qualification, you will not need to travel, there are no exams to sit, and you will not need to take time off work. Your assessor will provide support and guidance face-to-face, by phone and by email.

CITB-registered employers can claim a grant of £600 for every employee or contractor who completes an NVQ Level 2 to 7. You can find more information on the CITB website.

Government NVQ funding is available for construction workers who meet specific criteria. Please get in touch with us to find out if you are eligible for funding.

When you have completed your NVQ portfolio, our internal verification team will check it for compliance. They will then claim your certificate with City and Guilds.

Once we have received your certificate from the awarding body, we will forward it to you by recorded delivery. This process usually takes between two and four weeks.

To get your CSCS Skilled Worker card, you will also need to pass the CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test at your local test centre.

You can apply for your card by visiting www.cscs.uk.com/applying-for-cards. You will need to upload a copy of your NVQ certificate and have a debit or credit card ready to pay the £36 fee.

Yes, if you need a CSCS card while you are doing your insulation qualification, you can apply for the Experienced Worker card. You can request this card as soon as we have enrolled you on the NVQ (you will also need to pass the CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test).

To apply for the temporary card, we will email you your proof of enrolment which you must submit to CSCS.

You will then upgrade to the Skilled Worker card once you have finished the qualification.

You can call us on 01942 673047 or get in touch through our contact form.