NVQ Level 2 in Insulation and Building Treatments – External Wall Insulation – Boarder / Finisher

DMR Training is an approved assessment centre for NVQ Level 2 Diploma & Certificate in Insulation and Building Treatments – External Wall Insulation. We aim to help you gain your External Wall Insulation NVQ as quickly and conveniently as possible.


Fast & Flexible Assessment


Experienced NVQ Assessors


Get Your CSCS Card


Funding Available

Who should take NVQ Level 2 External Wall Insulation?

The NVQ Level 2 in External Wall Insulation course is for experienced external wall insulation workers who meet the recognised occupational standards. The qualification is a validation of your skills and experience.

This NVQ is suitable for operatives who work on either new build construction sites or retrofitting external wall insulation to domestic homes. See the ‘Entry Requirements’ and ‘Assessment Process’ sections for examples of job tasks you will be assessed on.

The Onsite Assessment and Training (OSAT) route allows you to achieve your NVQ through workplace assessment at your own speed.

This qualification is a mandatory requirement in gaining your CSCS Skilled Worker card.

Entry Requirements

To undertake an External Wall Insulation NVQ, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Minimum of three years’ experience in external wall insulation as a boarder, finisher or both
  • Must currently be working in the trade
  • Aged 19+

Before enrolling you on the NVQ, your assessor will carry out a skills analysis to check you have experience in the following areas:

  • Fitting external wall insulation horizontal base tracks above damp proof course
  • Measuring and cutting insulation boards
  • Installing insulation boards mechanically, by ‘wet fix’ or ‘dual fix’
  • Staggering joints and making cutaways
  • Filling gaps with expanding foam to prevent thermal bridging
  • Application of scrim
  • Rendering (if taking the ‘Finisher’ pathway – see ‘Qualification Requirements’ section)

Assessment process

We deliver the NVQ in Insulation and Building Treatments – External Wall Insulation through the Onsite Assessment (OSAT) route. We will assign you an insulation assessor who will work with you for the duration of the course as you build a portfolio of evidence.

Types of evidence may include:

  • An onsite observation while you work, carried out by your assessor in your workplace
  • Photographs or videos of you working
  • References, employer endorsements or witness testimonies verifying your work as an external wall insulation operative
  • Detailed job logs of work you have completed
  • A recorded professional discussion with your assessor either face-to-face or over the telephone
  • Coursework covering the ‘theory’ of external wall insulation, and construction health and safety

Your assessor will be looking for evidence of competency in a range of skills such as quality of finish, awareness of damp and ventilation issues, correct application of mushroom fixings during mechanical board installation and knowledge of health and safety legislation.

Once your assessor is satisfied you have submitted sufficient evidence, our internal verification team will check your portfolio. They will then claim your NVQ certificate with City and Guilds.


Although insulation workers can take up to six months or more to achieve their NVQ, we find that most complete the qualification in 2 to 3 months.

Ultimately, the qualification will fit around your professional and personal commitments. Work towards it at a speed you feel comfortable.

An office block external wall and scaffolding during installation of fibre glass insulation

Costs & Funding

We currently have access to Low Carbon NVQ funding for insulation workers in Greater Manchester, Lancashire and the Sheffield City Region. Please contact us so we can check your eligibility for funding.

If you live or work outside these regions, we offer affordable self-funded assessment payable in two parts – 50% upfront and 50% on completion.

Please contact us to discuss funding and costs.


On completion of your External Wall Insulation NVQ course, you can apply for your Skilled Worker card (blue card).

If you require a CSCS card while you are working towards your NVQ, you can apply for your temporary Experienced Worker card (red card).

All CSCS card applicants must first pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test (HS&E test).


After achieving Level 2 and depending on your experience, you may have the option to advance to NVQ Level 3 in a similar occupational area, NVQ Level 3 in Occupational Work Supervision (Construction) or NVQ Level 4 in Construction Site Supervision.

Getting Started

When you decide to proceed with your NVQ, we will carry out a quick skills diagnostic to confirm your suitability for the qualification and the onsite assessment route.

We will then enrol you on the qualification with City and Guilds and issue your welcome email. Your assessor will contact you for your introductory telephone conversation and put together your assessment action plan.

For an initial commitment-free consultation, please call us on 01942 673047 or send us your details and we will get back to you.

Qualification Requirements for NVQ Level 2 NVQ in Insulation and Building Treatments – External Wall Insulation


We deliver three pathways to the NVQ in Insulation and Building Treatments – External Wall Insulation.

  • NVQ Level 2 Certificate – Boarder (4 units)
  • NVQ Level 2 Certificate – Finisher (4 units)
  • NVQ Level 2 Diploma – Boarder/Finisher (5 units)

Mandatory Units – Candidates must complete the mandatory units

  • Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace
  • Conforming to productive working practices in the workplace
  • Moving, handling and storing resources in the workplace


  • Installing external wall insulation in the workplace (to achieve NVQ Level 2 Certificate in Insulation and Building Treatments – External Wall Insulation – Boarder)
  • Applying surface finishes to external wall insulation in the workplace (to achieve NVQ Level 2 Certificate in Insulation and Building Treatments – External Wall Insulation – Finisher)

Candidates must take both the boarder and finisher specific units to achieve NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Insulation and Building Treatments – External Wall Insulation – Boarder/Finisher.

Additional UnitsCandidates can elect to take additional units but they do not form part of the core qualification

  • Erecting and dismantling access/working platforms in the workplace
  • Applying finishing plaster to prepared surfaces in the workplace


DMR Training was formed in 2013 and has since grown into one of the country’s leading centres for Insulation and Building Treatments NVQ assessment. In that time, we have helped over 1000 construction workers gain their NVQ and CSCS card.

We are on the government’s Register of Training Organisations (ROTO), which means we can deliver funded assessment to eligible workers and employers.

If you would like to verify our status as a fully approved training and assessment centre for External Wall Insulation, please contact:

City & Guilds
5-6 Giltspur Street
London, UK

Tel: 0844 543 0033
Email: learnersupport@cityandguilds.com

There are several reasons you might take an NVQ, ranging from increased earning potential and career prospects, to gaining your CSCS card. See our short guide – Why Should You Do an NVQ?

Before starting your qualification, an assessor will be assigned to work with you and provide ongoing support.

DMR assessors are former construction workers with at least five years’ experience in NVQ assessment.

They hold an A1 or TAQA assessor’s qualification, a minimum of NVQ Level 2 in their occupational area and a blue or gold CSCS card.

We provide full training to all our assessors in supporting people with dyslexia or learning disabilities. If you need extra support and guidance with the written elements of your insulation NVQ, your assessor will draw up an assessment plan tailored to your needs.

An NVQ is a workplace competency qualification. As a competent external wall insulation operative, you will be expected to document your skills and experience through various types of ‘evidence’.

Your assessor will carry out at least one observation in your place of work. You will also complete coursework in your own time.

To achieve your qualification, you will not need to travel, there are no exams to sit, and you will not need to take time off work. Your assessor will provide support and guidance face-to-face, by phone and by email.

CITB-registered employers can claim a grant of £600 for every employee or contractor who completes an NVQ Level 2 to 7. You can find more information on the CITB website.

Government NVQ funding is available for construction workers who meet specific criteria. Please get in touch with us to find out if you are eligible for funding.

When you have completed your NVQ portfolio, our internal verification team will check it for compliance. They will then claim your certificate with City and Guilds.

Once we have received your certificate from the awarding body, we will forward it to you by recorded delivery. This process usually takes between two and four weeks.

To get your CSCS Skilled Worker card, you will also need to pass the CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test at your local test centre.

You can apply for your card by visiting www.cscs.uk.com/applying-for-cards. You will need to upload a copy of your NVQ certificate and have a debit or credit card ready to pay the £36 fee.

Yes, if you need a CSCS card while you are doing your insulation qualification, you can apply for the Experienced Worker card. You can request this card as soon as we have enrolled you on the NVQ (you will also need to pass the CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test).

To apply for the temporary card, we will email you your proof of enrolment which you must submit to CSCS.

You will then upgrade to the Skilled Worker card once you have finished the qualification.