Apply for your blue CSCS card: Your step-by-step guide (with screenshots)
You’ve achieved your NVQ Level 2 (congrats!) and passed your CITB Health and Safety test (double-congrats!). But now you’re wondering how to apply for a blue CSCS card. Don’t worry: it’s a doddle. And we’ve made it even easier with this step-by-step guide.
What you’ll need before you start
Before starting your online CSCS blue card application, make sure you have the following items to hand:
- A digital copy of your NVQ achievement certificate (if you don’t have a scanned pdf copy of your certificate, take a photo of it with your smart phone. The file should be a maximum of 5mb and in one of the following formats: jpg, jpeg, png, pdf).
- Your CITB Health, Safety & Environment test score report (or the CITB Test ID printed on the report – the ID starts CITB00 and is followed by seven digits). You will need to have passed the test within the last two years. You must also wait 24 hours after passing the test before applying for your CSCS card.
- Your national insurance number.
- A debit or credit card to pay the £36 fee.
- About 5 minutes of time to spare.
How to apply for a blue CSCS card – Step One
Click Apply Online.
Log in to your CSCS account if you already have one. If you don’t, register for a new account.
Click Apply for a Card.
Select Yes to both questions and then Continue. If you haven’t passed your CITB test within the last two years, please visit the CITB website to book your test.
From the Card Type drop-down menu, select Skilled – Blue (unless you are applying for another type of card).
Click Add a Qualification.
Select your trade in the Your Occupation field, then select your NVQ from the Your Qualification field. If you are unsure of the awarding body for your NVQ, check your certificate.
Add your certificate number and achievement date (you can find these on your NVQ certificate), and then upload your certificate by clicking Choose File.
Select Yes to the question about passing your CITB test within the last two years. Select Operatives from the drop-down menu (to apply for your CSCS blue card). Click Add.
Enter your CITB Test ID (you can find this on your CITB Test Score Report or by calling CITB on 0344 994 4488). Enter your national insurance number and your home postcode. Click Validate, and then Confirm. Finally click Save & Next.
Enter your personal details into the relevant fields.
Select No if this is your first CSCS card. If you have held a card previously, select Yes and enter the registration number (call CSCS on 0344 994 4777 if you don’t know your registration number). Click Ok.
Check the card delivery address is correct, then click Save & Next.
Check all details that you see on the screen are accurate. Then select the tick box to accept CSCS terms and conditions, and then click Next.
Enter your payment details and click Make Payment.
And that’s it!
You’ve now applied for your CSCS blue card, and it should reach you in 3-5 working days.
Need extra help?
If you need extra support in applying for a CSCS blue card, visit the CSCS website or call them on 0344 994 4777.
Visit our NVQ Assessment page for more information about taking an NVQ with us.